Wow, I had the intentions of blogging ALL summer long. Did it happen? Nope.. And I had some pretty awesome experiences this summer too!! The three highlights were my Wichita NKOTB concert, our trip to Ohio and the musical I was in (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum). I don't know that I feel like blogging about anything in particular today, so I'll go back to the first thing that happened..
Technically, the first was the NKOTB concert, but.. Auditions for Forum happened before that.
Melody is a dear dear friend of mine. Her daughter, Amanda, and I grew up together and were very close. Now that I'm back in my hometown and involved in the community theatre again, I've also become friends with Mel. :) Well, Mel's production of choice this summer was A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. Let me tell you, that is a FUNNY show! Jonathan even enjoyed it and he's not a musical fan.
Back at the beginning of June, Mel held auditions. I auditioned with a small glimmer of hope that I'd actually land the lead male part (I knew Mel might be switching some roles to the opposite gender). Why did I want that part? Well... I LOVE the songs that Pseudolus gets to sing. Well, I wasn't really expecting that part, just kinda hoping. Well, I didn't get it. In fact, my dear friend Vicki got it. And she played it AS a male. LOL Vic did such a FABULOUS job! She was perfect for the role so it's definitely good I didn't get it. I will say I was shocked to get the role I did get. But, it was SO MUCH FUN!!
Mel cast me as Philia, the Virgin Courtesan. Right, I know.. Totally a contradiction in itself. Add to that the fact that Philia's skull is filled with air instead of brain matter... :) So, to top it all off with the surprise of getting that part, I find out that my love interest (Hero) in the show is none other than Shelby. He was my Harold Hill when I was Marian in Music Man two summers ago. LOL I guess Shelby and I just work well together. Whatever, right? LOL We had a lot of fun. I got to act totally happy, ditzy and carefree and Shelby got to play the incredibly lovesick boy. Boy did he ham it up.
Forum takes place in Rome, in front of 3 houses. The house of Lycus, the house of Erronius and the house of Senex. Lycus' house is the house of courtesans, where I reside. Erronius is an old guy whose twin children were stolen at infancy and has been gone looking for them the past 20 years. Senex is where Hero lives with his perverted father and overbearing mother. His slave is Pseudolus.
Long story short, Hero says he'll free Pseudolus if he can get Hero the girl, Philia. This proves to be a problem since Philia has already been sold. But, lo and behold, Pseudolus does the job. It's a crazy show from start to finish with a lot of great music.
The best part about the show for me?? My costume. OMG, it was GORGEOUS. Philia is a virgin courtesan, straight over from Crete, so I got to wear this flowy white grecian outfit. It had blue and silver accents and I even got to wear a tiara. My makeup was simple and I even figured out how to do my own hair! I'm not a vain person, but dang it, I looked pretty dang good. :) All the 7 year old girls thougth I was a princess.
The show was the past two weekends. We did 5 performances total and each one was a joy. I don't remember having so much fun.
The cast parties were even more to talk about. And I think they deserve a completely different blog...
So, until next time, au revoir!
Monday, August 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment